The Farnese Palace of Rome owns the equilibrium of its structure to the original project of Antonio da Sangallo the Young, called by Paolo III in 1514 after Christ to conduct the works of the palace that nowadays the Romans familiarly call "il dado" ("the dice").
The works, which were finished only in 1589 after Christ on the desire of the Cardinal Alessandro Farnese, were continued by Michelangelo, to whom is attributed the cornice delimitating the fašade, the balcony and the arrangement of the internal court, and Giacomo della Porta who should have realised the posterior fašade and the large loggia towards Villa Giulia.
In the original intentions of the prelate, this same terrace should have been the departure point for the connection through a bridge over the Tevere River of Palazzo Farnese to Villa Chigi, bought in 1580 after Christ, and from then called "Farnesina".
A large part of the materials for to the ornaments were taken, as it was an habit at the time, from imperial palaces and in a particular way from the Villas of Tivoli, from the ruins of Ostia and, in town, from the Terms of Caracalla and from the temple of "Serapide sul Quirinale".
In addition to the architectonic particularities such as the atrium of access of Sangallo or the already mentioned cornice of Michelangelo, Palazzo Farnese preserves, as it is a due for the residence of a noble family with large political ambitions, precious ornamental works; it is the case of the refined decoration of a chimney with a couple of statues of Della Porta, but above all it is the case of the comprehensive collection of sculptures and paintings with mythological theme realised between 1597 and 1604 after Christ on a superficies of roughly 120 square metres known as "Gallery of the Carracci".
The residence was occupied since the moment of its inauguration by the Farnese family, then given to the Bourbons of Spain and from the beginning of the 1910's it is the siege of the French Embassy in Italy.