The building of the "Palazzo della Cancelleria" along what is nowadays "Corso Vittorio Emanuele II" of Rome, was desired by the Cardinal Raffaele Riario with the contribution of the other nephew of Sisto IV, the Pontiff Giulio II della Rovere, and is probably dating back to the period going from 1483 to 1513 after Christ.
For a long time considered as a work of Bramante, nowadays it is considered that more probably the overall project of the edifice is from Andrea Bregno who had already executed for the powerful roman family the tombs of the cardinals Cristoforo and Domenico located in the church of Santa Maria del Popolo.
According to this new critical position, Bramante would have contributed to the design of the "Palazzo della Cancelleria" with the definition of some prospects of the fašade and the projects of the internal court and church; in addition to these architectonic elements having a particular interest, we should had the cardinal rooms on the noble floor, the gate in the internal loggia, the "aula magna" called "Riaria Room" or "Room of Riario" and the "Living room of the one hundred days" decorated by Vasari with the painting cycle of the "Facts of the life of Paolo III Farnese".
Concerning this area, whose name is coming from the fact that the artist would have claimed to have painted the frescoes in only one hundred days, it is said that Michelangelo gave his opinion about the work through a laconic "and one can see".
After the confiscation to Riario in 1517 after Christ, provoked by the participation of this one to the high treason against Pope Leone X, the palace was given to the vice-clerk of the Saint Church the Cardinal Giuliano de' Medici, becoming afterwards the definitive headquarter of the ecclesiastic institution that gives its name to the structure itself.
Even though it was for short periods, the edifice has been allocated to host between 1809 and 1814 the Napoleonic Imperial Court, as it is testified by a writing on the fašade, in 1848 the Roman parliament and, the year after, the headquarter of the Constituent Assembly of the Roman Republic, nowadays it hosts the Apostolic Registry with the tribunal of the Sacra Rota benefiting from the extraterritoriality right recognised by the "Lateranensi Pacts" to the Church for some residences far away from the Vatican City