The church of Sant'Agnese in Agone in Rome was built on Piazza Navona during the 17th century on the initial project of Carlo Rainaldi, but with a decisive intervention, between 1653 and 1657 after Christ, of Francesco Borromini.
Pope Innocenzo X Pamphili, who has his funerary monument inside this basilica, decides to proceed to a new urban asset of the area and to build the church of Sant'Agnese in Agone almost as a private chapel next to the family residence built next to it.
The close space between the church and the palace Pamphili is still testified by an opening in the drum of the cupola that allowed the Pontiff to attend the celebrations directly from his apartment.
The Greek cross map of the church, born on the place of the martyr of the saint of the same name, that the angiography wants to be miraculously recovered by her own hair after she had been exposed nude, hides in the actual undergrounds a medieval oratory and some ruins from the antique Stadium of Domiziano.
During the short period in which it was called to substitute Carlo Rainaldi as the director of the works, Francesco Borromini modified the project of the façade by using some concave volumes to exalt the overhang of the cupola framed between two twin belfries.
The inside of Sant'Agnese in Agone offers seven altars and is precious because of the frescoes of Gaulli, Ciro Ferri and Sebastiano Corbellini in the cupola, the statues of Piero Palo Campi and Melchiorre Caffà, the marble relief representing the miracle of the chapels of the Saint located on the altar in the undergrounds said to be from Alessandro Algardi and various paintings of Francesco Rossi, Domenico Guidi, Antonio Raggi and Ercole Ferrata.
The basilica, decorated by precious marbles and by an extended use of gold stucco, also benefited from the use of materials taken away from other religious edifices such as in the case of the columns in the chapels of the cruise coming from San Giovanni in Laterano
or the bells taken away from the Cathedral of Castro in the Viterbo region.