This triangular piazza is one of Rome's elegant meeting places. The name comes from the 4th century chapel constructed here on the residence of a Christian matron named Lucina. Her private chapel became a church in the 5th century when Sixtus III was Pope but it was completely reconstructed in the 12th century by Pope Pascal II.The portico and the double-storey bell tower belong to this period. The cardinal's residence to the left of the church, which became the property of the Almagia' family in 1898, was built at the end of the 13th century. It was here, under the garden of the present building, that the Emperor Augustus' Ara Pacis, the Altar of Peace, was located; today it has been reassembled and is on display elsewhere.