Da Palazzo Barberini a Villa Borghese
With the A line of the metro one reaches the 17th century Palazzo Barberini, finished by Bernini and Borromini, and that nowadays hosts the prestigious National Gallery of Antique Art.
Continuing along Via Vittorio Veneto one reaches the park of Villa Borghese, built on the order of Scipione Borghese from whom it is taking its name.
Inside the gardens, which are the main green space of the centre of Rome, we find the area of the hippodrome, the Piazza di Siena, a rich decorative complex made of statues and fountains, a small artificial lake and the Borghese Gallery.
The Museum still welcomes some works of absolute artistic value such as “Paolina Bonaparte” of Canova, the “Madonna dei Palafrenieri” and the “Giovane con Cestello di Frutta” (Young with a fruit basket) of Caravaggio, the “Danae” of Correggio and the “Amor sacro e Amor profano” of Tiziano.
Getting out and continuing along Corso Italia, one arrives to Porta Pia, last architectonic work of Michelangelo, famous because in this area the Italian troops guided by the General Cadorna in 1870 broke through the defences of the Pontificate State.