Dieser Dienst ist im Moment nur auf Italienisch und Englisch.
A few meters from Termini Station you can find Piazza della Repubblica, one of the historic squares of Rome. Until the Fifties that square was known as Piazza Esedra (many still call it so today), so called because of the fact that covers exedra-theater of the ancient Baths of Diocletian, which still face the square.
In the place where at the end of '500 Pope Sisto V had prepared the creation of an artificial lake that feed the canal linking his Villa and the current Piazza San Bernardo, lies what is now the first place to give welcome to tourists arriving from the nearby Termini Station.
Famous for its palaces with arcades by Gaetano Koch dating at the end of the nineteenth century,the square has two aces in the hole, which is the Basilica di Santa Maria degli Angeli e dei Martiri, obtained from a part of the imperial Roman baths, and the Fountain of Naiadi (the nymphs who protect rivers, lakes, oceans and groundwater) realized in 1901 by the palermitan sculptor Mario Rutelli, great-grandfather of former Mayor of Rome Francesco Rutelli.
Piazza della Repubblica is renowned in jet-set because the place addicted to film previews and gala evening with the presence of the international movie stars. From there it starts one of the most important streets of the city, via Nazionale.
Via Nazionale, which has always done to connect the station with the center of Rome and the Tiber
, traces the evolution of the Vicus Longus, the Roman road between the Quirinale
which connected the Baths of Diocletian with area of the Imperial Forums
Most of the buildings that overlook the street are realized at the end of nineteenth century and are part the process of urbanization just to enhance the importance of the city after the Unification of Italy.
Great hotels, luxury boutiques, historic churches, like for instance la Chiesa di San Paolo fuori le mura
) and important public buildings as the Palazzo delle Esposizioni
, Teatro Eliseo
, Koch Palace - seat of the Bank of Italy, crossing Via Nazionale from Piazza della Republic up to Piazza Venezia.
Piazza Venezia, the heart of the Capital, point of intersection of the most important Roman roads, as Via dei Fori Imperiali
, Via del Corso
, Via del Plebiscito
, link between the history of the city, the first square of Rome as capital of Italy, the first place where it was tested the lighting gas,the first where horses drawn buses ran.
The name of the square is due to the Palazzo Venezia
, originally modest accommodation for the cardinal of the Basilica di San Marco turned into papal residence by Paolo II Barbo in 1440. This is a historic building that later housed during the Napoleonic era the Academy of Fine Arts led by Antonio Canova, and then become the headquarters of Mussolini in the Fascist regime.
In Piazza Venezia stands in all its astonishing size the Vittoriano
, the national monument dedicated to Vittorio Emanuele II, a masterpiece of architecture which houses l'Altare della Patria
, a place of commemoration for all the Italian soldiers. Inside there is buried the Milite Ignoto
(Unknown Soldier), the body of an unknown Italian soldier selected from among those of the fallen of World War I choose to represent all those soldiers without dignified burial, without a tomb with his name.
Don't forget that the complex of Vittoriano houses regular art retrospectives and prestigious cultural exhibitions.