St. Peter's Square was completed between 1656 and 1667 by Bernini, on the orders of Pope Alexander VII. The architect gave life to one of his most beautiful scenic designs by creating the trapezoidal widening which starts at the façade and widens into two semicircular arms of the colonnade, so designing an ellipse 240 meters wide.At the center is the obelisk, brought to Rome by Caligula to decorate the "spina" of Nero's circus. Located just to the right of today's basilica, this was where St. Peter was crucified. Sixtus IV had the obelisk moved from its original position and Domenico Fontana, along with an army of men and machines, took 4 months to complete the removal job. While it was being erected, there was a law prohibiting anyone from making noise, on pain of severe punishment.